photo courtesy of @androidcentral
After a year in development, Google is flipping the switch on “RCS business messaging.” Essentially, it means that brands can text more multimedia-rich messages to Android users. Google says that it’s partnering with Sprint for this initial business rollout of RCS in the U.S., but there are 43 different carriers around the globe working on adopting Google’s Jibe RCS Hub.
What is RCS?
RCS (Rich Communication Services) upgrades SMS with branding, rich media, interactivity and analytics.
Why does RCS matter to businesses?
- 86% of smartphones will be RCS-enabled by 2020
- Business messaging market is projected to reach $74 billion by 2021
- Business Branding and verification
- Payment Buttons
- Web client for desktop texting
- Texting over Wi-Fi
- Suggested replies and actions
- Higher-quality photos
- Rich card carousels
- Read and typing indicators